Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: OT: Phono Cartridge Choice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    OT: Phono Cartridge Choice

    I purchased a vintage Pioneer linear tracking turntable, a PL L1000. I assume the tonearm is of the low-mass type. The arm is fitted with an Ortofon VMS 20E mk11 cartridge which I believe dates to the early eighties and by now would be in need of a new stylus.
    I am interested in recommendations for high compliance cartridges, under $70 or so, which would work well with a 416-8B+802/511B system.

    Any thoughts?

    Cheers, Marshall.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member martyh45's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 13th, 2004
    Posts
    337
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Phono Cartridge Choice

    How about a shure M97xe? It can be upgraded later with a Jico sas stylus

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Phono Cartridge Choice

    Yeah, since you can't step up to a V15 Type V except used, the M97xe is arguably one of the most 'accurate' phonos around at any price, especially for a Japan spec TT.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Phono Cartridge Choice

    Thank you for your replies. The M97 would be fine and within budget(at Amazon).
    Unfortunately I can't justify the V15.

    Let me give you the whole story. Back in the early Eighties I purchased a new Technics SL10 linear tracking turntable which I retired in favour of CDs. I recently organised my collection of LPs and got the Technics out of storage. I discovered that the original MC cartridge is unobtanium NOS, at least for a mere mortal like myself. Retipping of the non-removable stylus would cost more than a V15.

    So, to preserve the Technics stylus I will only use it for more critical listening and use the Pioneer for general use. In a carefree moment I could spend a little more if there was a significant performance gain. However, the M97/Amazon deal could be hard to beat, overall.

    Cheers, Marshall.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member gortnipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2008
    Posts
    244
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Phono Cartridge Choice

    Looks like LP gear has a new stylus for the VMS 20E MkII for $65 - LP Gear: Ortofon D15XE MKII stylus for Ortofon VMS 20E MkII VMS20E MKII cartridge

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: OT: Phono Cartridge Choice

    I think the D15xe Mk11 stylus is the current Ortofon general substitute. The original D20E Mk11 is still to be found with a bit of googling for about $100. I am tempted but put off by the chance of NOS stylus suspension ageing/deterioration. I will contact Ortofon to check similarity. The Shure 97 is looking good to me.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.